Freedom of speech, privacy across online discourses, support groups and anonymity etcetera remain as vital concerns for LGBTIQ people in cyberspace considering the vast digital footprints each netizen leaves. While online violence against queer people, in India, have been recorded via various studies conducted by feminist collectives like Point of View various untold experiences pertaining to digital threat and harassment hold relevance for expanding advocacy efforts of LGBTIQ support collectives. As our daily lives, in the cyberspace get adhered to algorithmic patterns set by social media like never before, Queerala calls for its Monthly Meeting for Queers and Allies to discuss risks involved around surveillance and freedom of expression. The gathering scheduled to be on 19th Jan 2019 shall address the following concerns;
- Lack of dating opportunities for female born queer persons
- Ethical practises of online support groups in terms of anonymity and privacy.
- Access to support groups and identity proofs
- Accidental Exposure and attacks on closed groups
- Censorships by Social Media platforms.
- Expression of Desire and misuse of Dating apps etc
We wholeheartedly welcome LGBTIQ persons and allies to be part of the meeting and share experiences pertaining to the topics of discussion. We foresee a fruitful discussion on digital safety and come up with a document based on the observations from the meeting.
Venue: Rainbow Nest, Cochin
Date and Time: 19 Jan 2019, 10am-4pm
Contact : 8075645060